Identity Theft Checklist

If you've been the victim of identity theft, it can be difficult to know where to start with recovering your identity and setting up protections to reduce the chance of future theft. Use the list below to make sure you're covering all your bases.

Protect your Credit Report

  • Annual Credit Report will send you a free report each year. 
  • Place a freeze on your credit:
    • TransUnion: “TrueIdentity” (888-909-8872)

    • Experian: “Security Freeze” (888-397-3742)

    • Equifax: “Security Freeze” (800-685-1111)

File an Identity Theft Report

  • Contact your local police department. Obtain a copy of the report or report number for your records.

Contact the WI Office of Privacy Protections

Contact the Federal Trade Commission

Protect your ChexSystems Consumer File

  • Place a security freeze on your consumer file:

Protect your existing accounts

  • Contact all Financial Institutions that you have a banking, investment, or credit relationship with. If account numbers or credit/debit card numbers have been compromised, close the account and open under a new account number. Request new credit and debit cards and PINs.  
  • Place stop payments on checks, if applicable.
  • Request and review account statement histories for unusual or suspect transactions. Immediately report any unknown transactions to your credit union, bank, and/or credit card issuer.
  • For each account, verify that the address, phone numbers, and e-mail address are current and have not been changed without your knowledge.
  • Add a passcode to each account. Select a code or word that will only be known to you.  Avoid mother’s maiden name or something that may be easily obtained from a social media site (child’s or dog’s name, name of high school, etc.).
  • Request that a comment be added to your account stating you are a victim of identity theft.
  • Change your User ID and passwords for home banking systems, investment accounts, and e-mail accounts. Use “strong” passwords (upper and lower case, alpha, numeric and symbol).

Other notifications

  • Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles if your Driver’s License or State ID is stolen.
  • Contact your local Post Office if your mail has been stolen.
  • You may have Identity Theft Insurance as part of your Homeowners or Renters insurance policy. Review your insurance policy; call your insurance agent or your insurance company to determine if you have coverage.
  • If you believe the thief is using your Social Security Number to obtain a job or benefits, contact:

Other agencies to contact

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    • Obtain and submit the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit, Form 14039
    • Contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit, at 800-908-4490, for assistance.
  • Wisconsin Department of Revenue (WDOR)
    • If your state income tax return has been denied, call the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (WDOR) at 608-266-2772. If you are the victim of federal income tax fraud and not sure if your state income tax return has been compromised, call the WDOR to make sure that no one has fraudulently filed your state tax return.